Laser Scar Treatments
Sometimes when our bodies try to heal themselves, scars emerge. Luckily, laser skin resurfacing can effectively treat uneven skin textures and minimize the appearance of these marks. If you’ve got an unsightly scar from a surgery, injury, or years of severe acne, we’ve got you covered. This fast, simple procedure produces great results and requires little to no downtime.
How does Laser Scar Treatment work?
Laser scar treatment uses short pulses of laser light to penetrate your skin’s sub-layers and zap away older, damaged tissues. It paves the way for your body to carry out its natural healing process and rebuild normal-looking skin with new collagen and elastin.
What types of scars can be treated?
- Keloid scars: scars that protrude outward as a result of the body producing too much scar tissue during the healing process.
- Contracture scars: burn scars where it looks like the skin has been pulled tight. These scars often hinder movement due to tightened tissues.
- Hypertrophic scars: raised, red scars that are caused by excessive collagen, which contributes to the scar rising above the skin level.
- Acne scars: scars that are left after severe acne has disappeared. These create a dimpled or pitted look in the skin.
- Surgical scars: some scars caused by surgery can be treated with Laser therapy.
We can help you determine what kind of scar(s) you have and if they are treatable.
How long does a treatment take?
The procedure typically takes less than 30 minutes but can be shorter or longer depending on the size of the scar(s) being treated.
Do the treatments hurt?
Most patients feel only minimal discomfort during the laser scar removal procedure.
How many treatments will I need?
It’s common for patients to need 3-7 treatment sessions for optimal visible results.
Are there any side effects?
You may experience temporary redness and swelling at the treatment location, which should last only a few days. There is low risk of prolonged itching, redness, and blistering, burns, and bruising. There is also low risk of any lightening or darkening of the skin due to treatment.
Are there any restrictions on my activity after treatment?
No. Most patients resume their regular activities immediately after a treatment session.