Erectile Dysfunction Treatment Overview
Erectile Dysfunction “ED”
Trilogy Health in San Diego, headed by Dr. Ellyn Levine, is committed to helping those with ED.
ED is a very common condition that results when a man is not able to achieve an erection or maintain an erection firm enough to engage in sexual intercourse. ED is estimated to affect around 30 million men in the United States alone. Some common causes of ED include low testosterone levels, diabetes, vascular disease, depression, tobacco use or excessive alcohol use. It is also a common side effect of many medications used to treat high blood pressure. In addition, ED is a common consequence for those who have had surgery or radiation to treat their prostate cancer.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions we get about ED treatments:
What oral medications treat ED?
PDE5 inhibitors such as Sildenafil (Viagra) or Tadalafil (Cialis) are often the first-choice treatment option for treating ED.
How does medications like Viagra or Cialis work?
These medications work by relaxing muscles in the blood vessel walls to help increase blood flow to the penis, making it easier to achieve and maintain an erection.
These medications are usually taken 30 minutes before having sex and are most effective when sexually stimulating activities are taking place after medications are ingested.
Cialis’s effect can work for almost 36 hours, which is much longer than the other PDE5 inhibitors. This long-lasting duration makes it a great choice for those who desire more spontaneity and is also safe enough to be taken daily.
Who shouldn’t take a PDE5 inhibitor like Viagra or Cialis?
- Those with active chest pain or recent heart attack
- Those who have been instructed to avoid exercise by their physician due to a heart condition or other underlying condition
- Those taking Nitroglycerine medications
- Those with very low blood pressures or uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Those with severe liver disease or severe kidney disease requiring dialysis
What are the possible side effects of drugs like Viagra or Cialis?
- Back or muscle pain
- Sore throat, stuffy or runny nose
- Facial redness or flushing
- Prolonged painful erection known as priapism
- Stomach pains
- Viagra has been reported to cause serious vision and color change
I am interested in Testosterone replacement therapy(TRT) to treat my erectile dysfunction. What should I know?
Ideal candidate for TRT is a man with confirmed low testosterone levels and would like to improve their low testosterone related symptoms. Treatment of ED is one of the most common reasons why men seek TRT. We can order a blood test to evaluate your testosterone levels to see if testosterone replacement therapy is right for you.
At Trilogy Health, Dr. Levine will closely monitor your testosterone levels if placed on testosterone replacement to ensure that levels are appropriate and not in excess amount to reduce risk of adverse effects.
What are the possible adverse effects of testosterone replacement therapy:
• Swelling due to fluid retention
• Development of male breasts
• Sleep apnea
• Prostate Enlargement
• Progression of underlying occult prostate cancer or increased risk of having a heart attack or stroke.
Do you offer any ED treatment options that do not involve pills or hormones?
Yes! At Trilogy Health, Dr. Ellyn Levine is proud to offer two very popular non-medication options for the treatment of erectile dysfunction
1. Platelet-rich plasma (“PRP”) can be used to treat ED without medication. These concentrated platelets activate stem cells, release growth factors and stimulate cellular repair and regeneration. When injected into the penis, new tissue growth is stimulated, resulting in firmer, stronger erections and improved sensitivity.
Sound wave therapy is a safe, non-medication option for treating ED. It relies on high frequency low sound waves that promote blood flow to the penis. It works by repairing blood vessels and stimulating the growth of new ones and takes 15 to 20 minutes for treatment. It is effective in helping men to produce better erections. For more information, click here
What is the cost for a consultation and your ED treatments?
Trilogy Health accepts most PPO insurances as well as Medicare. For all other insurances or cash pay clients, the initial consultation cost is $199 and $99 for follow up visits and includes any applicable electrocardiogram or blood tests that may be needed to determine the best ED treatment for you.
Dr. Levine will discuss the costs of all possible treatment options during your initial consultation visit.
I am interested in getting help for my ED treatment, how do I get started?
With our multitude of treatment options such as oral drugs that improve penile blood flow, platelet-rich plasma “PRP” treatment, sound wave technology and testosterone replacement therapy for those with low testosterone levels, we are confident we can find a safe and effective treatment for you.
Simply call us at (619) 567-6914 to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Levine.